Baby Fever

Logan is totally in love with babies. He pretends all of his stuffed animals and toy figures are babies. He acts as if he’s a baby and makes what he considers to be baby noises, which sound exactly like a whimpering puppy. He takes good care of his babies, tucking them in the doll basket he inherited from his sisters, holding them, putting them on my lap for me to hold while he does something else, propping them up to watch him. It’s so sweet.

Lately not only has he been playing with imaginary babies, he’s been saying that he wants a baby. He craves one so much, he wants to put it on his Christmas list.

This morning, there was a real newborn baby on TV, so he paused it and called me over.

“Mom, look at this cute baby.”

“Awww, it is really cute!” I agreed.

“I really want a baby,” he said wistfully. “Why can’t we have a baby?”

Uh, because the factory is closed? This ship has sailed? And because four kids is plenty for me considering my original plan was to have two, then after the twins, three. Logan was a surprise. I have more than enough to handle.

“I’m sorry, honey, but we’re not having any more babies,” I told him, though secretly, the baby on TV had gotten to me too. It would be so nice to have a little body again to cuddle and hold and kiss.

I love babies. I love kids. If I had a nanny, or even a husband who was home in the evenings, I might consider having more of them. Each one is a blessing and I am so grateful for these precious little people, to watch them grow into the adults they will one day be.

Though my baby fever has lessened as Logan gets older, I still succumb to the occasional baby lust, so I have to get my fixes by holding my nieces and nephews. The family calls me “the baby hog” because at get-togethers, I always have a baby in my arms. I assume that the fever eventually goes away completely, but when?

It’s rather hard for me to accept that the reproductive phase of my life is over, even though I don’t actually want another child. Losing the possibility of having another baby is just another symptom of aging, another sign that I’m getting closer to being a grandparent than a new parent.

Gulp.

Do you ever feel baby fever? How do you deal with it? If you’re through having children, how do you feel about it?

10 Responses to “Baby Fever”

1. Sarah: I’ve had the same conversation with my just turned 8-year-old many times. He would love to have a baby brother or sister to cuddle and love & so he wouldn’t have to be the youngest anymore…but it just ain’t going to happen. He was my late in life baby – born when I was 42 – and my two others are almost 20 and 16. But I try to appease him by telling him he’s going to be the best uncle, and dad, ever. And that babies are a lot of work, so I wouldn’t have as much time to send just with him. Lately he hasn’t been asking as much – maybe his baby lust has gone now too.

2. jenn says:

I have a bit of “baby fever” myself, but as a single mother, it obviously isn’t happening. My two year old is always playing with her babies and pretending to be a baby. She is probably too young for “baby fever” but she does love babies. Oh, and she tells me that I have a baby in my tummy.

3. Julie Weingarden Dubin says:

I get baby fever whenever I see a newborn. My heart just melts. Last night I enjoyed being with my friend’s sweet, new baby girl and I was amazed that she was so content. My newborns were all fussy with reflux so it was such a treat to be with a tiny love who wasn’t screaming bloody murder. I have three kids–ages 2, 5 and 6. I write the “My Three Kids” blog for Womansday.com. We moms have to stick together and share our stories. We learn so much from each other. Congratulations on your blog!
    Best,
    Julie Weingarden Dubin
    parenting blogger for Womansday.com
    Click on link below:

4. I have it, bad, and all the time. Which is kind of weird, because as my husband is fond of pointing out, I don’t “do” the newborn period so well. I like order and control, and newborns? Not so much. But I loved my little bubbie babies, and loved nursing them (truth be told, it’s not getting to nurse another that produces the biggest pangs.)

But. I will be 43 next month (my kids are 6 and 4). And I had two C-sections. I do NOT want another. I have to content myself with my boys.

Denise

5. Angela says:

What a sweet story about your little guy and his love for babies. Love your blog, writing and stories both.

Do I suffer from baby fever?

Oh my, it is just a fact of life with me, which I am coming to terms with, a little wistfully, a little sadly, a little bit at a time, or NOT, as it so happens this week. I helped out at a La Leche League meeting yesterday; babies galore! It was such fun, that should have tided me over some, but alas, no.

I think my two-year-old must have sensed this need, because he has become a “pot de colle” or pot of paste in the past 24 hours. “Carry me” being his latest phrase and sleeping happening only in my arms, night and day. Great reminder of what life is truly like with a newborn.

We had four kids, and we were done. Then, mysteriously, a month after a birthday ceremony for number four in which I (silently, so no one believes me) thanked the stars, and powers that be for my fertility and resigned myself to the end of this phase of my life, number five came along. There will not be a sixth. Unless…adoption? No, I’m good, I’m overwhelmed, happy and contented, but I still love babies!

6. Thank you so much, Angela!

I’m so glad to find out how many women also suffer from baby fever. It makes me feel a lot less alone (and potentially crazy!).

I understand what you’re saying — I’m also content, happy and already outnumbered big-time! But that doesn’t stop me from wanting babies. I probably just always will.

7. Maria says:

Well, I just turn 30 and my husband casually mentioned that maybe I should get off birth control pills in August. I have never truly had baby fever. But suddenly that is all I can think about. I want to hold and hug every baby and toddler I encounter. The problem is, the hubby seems to be retracting, but my baby fever isn’t. I don’t want to scare him off with my baby fever because I want him to really want one too before we start trying. What to do with this fever??!!?

8. Sara Sanders says:

Good job on the post and sharing some useful details.

9. Hi

I always said I never wanted any children, that is until I met my husband and eventually started to settle down. I was about 35 when I had my little girl and I did get baby fever before I knew I was pregnant.

I think I lived and breathed baby shops at one point, not sure how my poor hubby put up with me.

My little girl is six now and have no plans for anymore, the baby fever has never returned and I am more then happy with my little angel. She is so loving and caring and I love her.

10. Decembyr Grey says:

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and have really bad baby fever. My husband keeps telling me to wait but all I think about is babies. Any suggestions of what I can do?